Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Oh man, I have been dreaming of a Pie Shoppe and now the NYTimes tells me its all the rave in New York and San Francisco. Hopefully in two years it will be all the thing in Baraboo, WI. I hope to soon post a recipe I invented for cranberry pie.
Friday, November 5, 2010
My friend Shea once said he wished we had evolved from bears instead of apes so we could allow ourselves a period of hibernation without feeling guilt. I have felt this recently as I have begun drinking scotch and wondering if 8pm is too early to go to bed. I have also transitioned into winter foods of squash soup, biscuits and veggie meatloaf. Although it is not such a beautiful food, here is my recipe for veggie meatloaf:
- 12 oz pack of veggie ground meat
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/3 c. panko
- 1 leek- halved and thinly cut
- 4 garlic gloves-crushed
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1/4 c. parsley
- 1/4 c. ketchup
- 2 T olive oil or butter
- Greased loaf pan
- Preheat over to 350
- In a large pan heat butter or oil, leeks and garlic until leeks are soft.
- Add soy sauce, ketchup and veggie meat, cook until veggie meat is warm.
- Place meat mix in large bowl and stir in panko and parsley.
- Stir in beaten eggs
- Place mix in pan, form into loaf.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes
- Remove from oven and lightly coat with ketchup.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes.
Monday, November 1, 2010
This is a nice NYTimes article on shopping at flea markets. I particularily liked Ross's comment on having to love whatever you buy. I have made too many purchasing mistakes when buying something I didn't really like but thought it was a good price or passed on something I loved because it cost a little too much.